Tuesday, October 26, 2010

STAYING THE SAME

This morning Levi had a cardiologist appointment.  After examining the echocardiogram and EKG, the doctor said Levi's heart looks about the same.  That's good news!  He still has moderate aortic stenosis, regurgitation, and a dilated aorta, but there's no apparent increase in any of those.  So things are steady and not worsening at this point.  Other than a miracle healing, that's the best possible news.  She'd like to see him again on December 16.

At four months old, Levi is starting to wiggle quite a bit more during echos and isn't just falling asleep like he used to.  I have to hold him down and try to get him to lie still, but it was hard to distract him today.  The echo lasted about 45 minutes.  He wasn't unhappy, just really squirmy (and very talkative, which was cute).  I'd imagine that pretty soon he may need to be medicated to get a good reading.  


Lately, I've been thinking a lot about where we'll take Levi for heart surgery.  Would we go to OHSU in Portland because it's an in-network provider and, at a 3-hour drive, the closest hospital to home?  Would we travel to another hospital out-of-state?  With so much family in So Cal, would we go down there?  We want the best care possible for such a serious and delicate surgery, so I posed the question to the cardiologist today.  In addition to OHSU, she mentioned a couple other hospitals with top-notch pediatric heart surgeons on the West Coast.  She's going to begin researching hospital stats and surgeons for this specific type of surgery (Ross Procedure), so we can be more prepared when the time comes.  

I also asked about James and I getting our hearts checked too.  She said at Levi's next appointment, she'd be happy to have the echo technician unofficially check both of us out.  How great is that?!  As I get to know Levi's cardiologist better, I'm extremely thankful to have her here in town and caring for Levi.  She takes her time in answering all of our questions and is very thorough in her exams and reports.  

I'm glad to have today's appointment over.  I never realize how worked-up I am about each one until it's over.  Even though it was a good appointment, I feel so drained.  

So, for now, we wait until Levi's next appointment in December.  

A big thank you goes out to our good friends who have helped watch Noah and Jacob during Levi's various appointments.  With drive time included, these appointments take a good 3+ hours.  It would really be impossible to take the older boys along.  Thank you again!

On a different subject, today we woke up to our first SNOW of the season!  A light blanket of white covered the trees, rooftops, and roads.  And to top it off, the sunrise was spectacular.  


As I stood in the front driveway taking in the awesome beauty and peacefulness of the morning, and thinking of the cardiologist appointment I was about to go to, I was reminded of the hope that God provides.  

The Bible tells us in Lamentations 3:22-24," Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.  I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion;  therefore I will wait for him'."

A new morning will always come.  Night will always end.  The Lord stays the same.  He is faithful.  That's what brings us peace in the midst of all of the uncertainties.  


And what a beautiful morning it was.

Noah couldn't wait to stomp around in the snow

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful news! We're still praying for the best news, but we'll take second best too! Thank you for keeping us all updated.

    Beautiful pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good news...love getting these updates.

    Lis and Steve

    ReplyDelete